Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Overview of Agile Presentation (to a local PMI Chapter)

I was invited to give a talk about Agile to the Delaware Valley PMI Chapter on January 7th. The audience was going to be filled with local PMP's, some of which would be skeptics, and some of which would have been burned by bad agile implementations. I was worried about how to normalize their knowledge, and I had to do it in less than 45 minutes so there was room for Q&A.

Once I realized that I couldn't cram Scrum, XP, Lean training in along with a proven case study... I decided to go for the overview and provide them what they needed to find out more. I wanted the group to understand the Scrum is Agile, but Agile is more than Scrum.

As far as I can tell, the session was a success. I got positive feedback at the end, and I felt I made the most of our time.

If you want to get a copy of the slide deck, you can download it here. Since I'm not that popular of a guy yet, hopefully this won't overwhelm the daily bandwidth limits of my personal website traffic restrictions. If you get nothing, email me or put a comment on this post and try again tomorrow (and I'll have to move it to another host).

Having been through this experience, if there is anyone in the Philadelphia region that is interested in having me come talk about Agile or some specific piece of it... feel free to contact me. You can find many ways to reach me on my personal site.

3 comments:

  1. i like your profile - very humble!

    thanks and i hope to bump into you soon

    siraj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great opportunity. Nice presentation. That was a lot of information to push into 45 minutes! Did you feel rushed to get through it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Siraj - I find that in my roles it is very important to remain a servant leader and coach!

    Dayleyagile - it was very hard and felt very rushed. But I made sure that I covered topics that could be researched easily later so that I could skip details and just seed interest. I tested the presentation on my wife and a co-worker in advance to make sure I could do it in the 45 minutes but didn't seem too rushed.

    ReplyDelete